Support This Blogger

Sunday, September 21, 2008

I am a Very Happy Baby Boomer. I went to Pandora.com and created a "Peter, Paul, and Mary" radio station. Along with them, I am getting *1960s Folk Music* Halle-freaking-lujah! I am hearing songs that I'd forgotten existed, but that I thoroughly enjoy. Case in point: "A World of Our Own" by The Seekers. Oh, man, but I remembered that song within seconds of its coming on and sat here singing along with it. You don't want to know how many years it's been since I'd heard that tune, or even heard OF it. Heck, *I* don't want to know how many years it's been. Except for this: I can tell you that it'd been decades since I'd heard it. Well, we've rectified that problem. Now it's been MINUTES since I've heard the song. :)

Existing radio stations should play a wider variety of music. Then whole genres wouldn't practically drop off the map. The way it is now, you pretty much have to already own this kind of music if you want to hear it. Well, how are new fans going to be introduced to the music if it's all but unavailable to them? I listen to the tripe that passes for music on contemporary radio, and it doesn't hold a candle to some of the amazing harmonies that almost no one gets the opportunity to hear, at least not without doing a bunch of legwork first.

Here we go again... "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore" (Kingston Trio), followed by "It Doesn't Have to Be That Way" (Jim Croce). At least the latter song comes on the radio occasionally during the Christmas season, due to its oblique references to the Holiday season. But the former? When's the last time THAT came on the radio? Good luck catching it except maybe during the PBS telethon, *IF* they're showing a Peter, Paul, an Mary concert.

Ah, well. Score one for the folkies. Now I understand what Manilow meant when, in reference to his love for big band music, "I was born 30 years too late". What a shame that folk music hit its zenith when my age was in single digits. I'd have had a lot of fun with this style of music, if I'd been old enough to take part in it when it was easily available on every radio.

No comments: