Support This Blogger

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sometimes I have to wonder what people are thinking when they classify some songs as romantic.

Take last night, when I was looking up some lyrics on the internet and ran across a Wedding Song Catalog that included Olivia Newton-John's "I Honestly Love You".

Um, what? What person who KNOWS THE LYRICS of the song would consider that particular selection appropriate for a wedding? The woman, who is already attached ("I hang around here a little more than I should, We both know I've got somewhere else to go"), is singing "I honestly love you" to a MAN who is not only already attached, but disturbed by the revelation. ("You don't have to answer, I see it in your eyes, Maybe it was better left unsaid.") At what point in time is this storyline a good fit for a wedding celebration? When both spouses have left their previous spouses/significant others in order to form a new relationship with each other, maybe?

I'm not saying that every person should know every nuance of every lyric on earth. But if a person plans to use a particular song to make a statement -- say, oh, AT THEIR OWN WEDDING, for example -- then they had darned well *better* know what the song is actually saying. Otherwise, they could end up sending a message that's entirely different from what they'd intended to declare.

No comments: