Support This Blogger

Monday, September 10, 2007

I've been rediscovering a lot of old CDs, now that I've been ripping them to MP3s. Some of the CDs I'm playing are albums that I hadn't gotten around to playing in eons.

Which is why I can cheerfully state that I love me some Rockapella. :o) I'd forgotten how much fun this album is.

Another gem that I'd forgotten I had was the recordings of Keith Chapman playing the famous Wanamaker pipe organ. He was a brilliant musician; unfortunately, he and his wife perished when the plane he was piloting crashed. :o( He used to play daily concerts on the pipe organ in Wanamaker's (now Macy's, grrrrrr) flagship department store. I used to meet Joe M. and Eva F. for dinner after work, in the mid-to-late 80s when we all worked in or near Center City; we'd meet in Wanamaker's Grand Court, at the Eagle, and I caught a bunch of Keith Chapman's performances that way. What a talented musician, and what a loss to us all that we lost him so young. The second I saw that they had a CD of his music available, I bought one.

BTW, Wanamaker's Macy's still has daily organ concerts, but I don't know who's playing there now.

No comments: