Support This Blogger

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Here we go again with the freakin' MySpace spam "friend" requests.

I have yet another person who's requesting my friendship but has suspicious credentials.

First of all, "Lydia" claims "her" age is 28, but "she" has precisely the same profile verbiage as the so-called would-be friends I heard from a few days ago. For the record, the text in the profile looks like this:

Hey everyone!

I've been hearing all the hype about having a MySpace profile but I never tried it out until now! I'm a college student and who loves listening to music and hanging out with my friends. For the most part, I go to school but I also do online surveys part of the time because with all the classes I'm taking, I don't really have time for a real job. I do surveys part time since I don't have time for a real job and I make enough to pay for all my expenses. I think it's really cool because I can just sit in my apartment and be on the computer during the hours I choose and make enough to pay my bills. I just wanted to share this with you guys since most of you are probably a struggling college student like myself. So, if you wanted to check it out, you can get started making money right now by clicking the banner below!


The sole reason the profile exists is to point people's attention to the "get paid to fill out surveys" banner. There is no 28-year-old "struggling college student" who sits around listening to music, hangs out with friends, and fills out surveys for a living.

And there's certainly no 28-year-old FEMALE student who looks like "Lydia's" profile picture:



For the record, in case MySpace deletes the profile and its accompanying photo soon, that would be a picture of a GUY. Complete with moustache, goatee, and no shirt. Um, got something you'd like to tell us about yourself, "Lydia"? Since you, like, want to be our friend and all?

These spammers don't care about getting their details right to make their fake profiles believable. Once they get people to click on the link to their spam, their "job" is done.

I'll be rejecting this "friend" request, the same way I rejected the previous four requests whose profile contained precisely the same text.

On to other, far more interesting news about ACTUAL friends. The Other Donna came in yesterday to see the Barry Manilow concert. I was surprised when she told me that she hadn't seen him in concert since we were in high school. (In 1978, at the Spectrum. Yikes, it's been a while!) Barry did not disappoint -- he's a brilliant showman and he was outstanding last night. :o) It was WELL worth having shown up at the crack of dawn to be among the first fans in line and get those seats! :o)

The Other Donna also got to meet her Nephmews, finally. Captain and Stanley loved being doted on by yet another cat-loving person. They also loved sniffing the daylights out of Donna's luggage, since it bears the scent of their three kitty cousins. She was quite taken by the Stripe Committee -- nothing's better than pairing up a couple of cats who love attention with a new fan who loves paying attention to cats. :o)

Donna called about an hour and a half ago to say she'd gotten home safely. She also mentioned that one of her cats, Alexi, was sniffing the daylights out of the luggage. Apparently, Captain and Stanley left behind some kitty scent of their own when they checked out the overnight bag. :o)

Anyway, the esteemed Mr. Manilow needs to come visit Philly more often. This was a great weekend. I'll take about 51 more just like it.

No comments: