Support This Blogger

Monday, August 04, 2008

MRI

The MRI of what's left of my left knee is done. That wasn't so bad, though there were a few annoying moments. For example, there were a few times when I had a SUDDEN GIANT ITCH THAT I COULDN'T SCRATCH because moving would have spoiled the pictures that were being taken. Also, my knee tends to offer up pangs of pain if I sit completely still for too long, so toward the end of the test it started giving me exclamation points of discomfort. On the other hand, it didn't start aching from the immobility until nearly a half-hour had passed, so this issue could have been a lot worse. My lower back decided, in the final few minutes, that it wasn't all that happy with the enforced immobility either. Again, the test was nearly over by the time that symptom cropped up, so I'm thankful that any real discomfort I had only lasted a few minutes.

In a few days, I'll have an idea of just what's the matter with the knee. It's funny, earlier today I started thinking, "Well, things aren't that bad, maybe they won't find anything."

Then I stopped and thought for a moment. Hello? For years, it hurts in bad weather and sometimes it aches for no discernable reason, it's been murder to go up or down stairs since I fell in Louisville, I get pins and needles in my left foot since Louisville as well... am I that used to these symptoms that I'm starting to view them as normal? Note to self: don't go so far into denial as to forget that some of these symptoms just plain shouldn't happen.

It's time to get a proper diagnosis and a plan of action in place, *before* the symptoms graduate from "annoying on a regular basis" to "causing severe problems on a regular basis".

If you want my advice, though, here it is: DON'T FALL. Also, IF YOU MUST FALL, DON'T LAND. Just keep those two precepts in mind, and you'll save yourself a whole bunch of aggravation.

No comments: