Support This Blogger

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Looks like it was one of those "meant to be" things that had me seeing the Other Primary Care Doctor in the practice today. Turns out that Other Doctor has got torn ligaments in his foot, and is in need of a cane. He took one look at the baseball-bat walking cane that I have and went bananas over it. :) He plans to google it and order one by the end of the day.

I told him that I got it at the Louisville Slugger museum/factory in Louisville, KY. I'm sure the factory has its own website, but if it doesn't, then the city itself should have a website with a list of landmarks and contact information.

It's just as well that I saw Other Doctor *before* the procedure, as the cane will be temporarily be replaced by crutches in the immediate aftermath of the surgery. Unfortunately, baseball-bat crutches haven't been invented yet. ;)

At least the pair of crutches I got this morning has padded handles and armrests, not that you're supposed to lean on the armrest for any length of time. I still have the wooden pair from 14 years ago, and I distinctly remember getting blistered hands from the freakin' crutch handles being so hard. Under my arms got a bit sore, too, but I considered that my negative-reinforcement reminder not to lean hard on that part of the crutches.

I don't look forward to navigating on stairs once the procedure's done, at least not until I'm allowed to put a bit of weight on that leg. Even then, early in the recuperation process, I know it's going to be a real source of aggravation.

Then again, stairs are a source of aggravation NOW. I hope that once the recovery's done, they'll be either a lot easier to deal with or, better yet, they'll be a non-issue.

No comments: