Support This Blogger

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Boy, remind me not to miss a dose of Aciphex.

I woke up this morning with a distressing amount of heartburn. I thought, "Shoot. Don't tell me that my body is getting desensitized to the Aciphex. It's worked so well for so long." I know a few people who have had to go back to the doctor for a different kind of prescription, after their body got used to the acid-reflux pill they were taking. I didn't want to be in that situation.

At breakfast, I took a look at my weekly prescription-pill organizer. I take all my daily meds/vitamins at the same time, with breakfast. Wednesday's pills were still in their little compartment. Seems I forgot to take ANY of my meds yesterday. Whoops. At least that explains this morning's heartburn -- I never took yesterday's dose of the acid reflux med.

Ironically, my medical insurance provider called me a few weeks ago to try and convince me to transition to over-the-counter acid-reflux medication. Are they nuts? I tried several OTC options, over the course of weeks, before I ever went to the doctor's office to get a prescription-strength form of relief. Believe me, I'm beyond the point where over-the-counter products will relieve my agita. Missing ONE day of prescription-strength medicine resulted in an immediate return of symptoms. No wonder the OTC stuff did nothing for me. I feel more justified than ever that I politely declined the insurance provider's suggestion.

No comments: