Support This Blogger

Friday, January 16, 2004

Aaaah... I'm creating a text file at work because I think I'm being Cyndi Laupered to death.

I begin to understand some reasons why my former employer the bank didn't provide us sound cards on our PC workstations. Someone within earshot of my desk is using a song fragment as an auditory computer prompt. It took me three days to track down who it was because the acoustics in here make IDing what direction a sound originated from challenging , but now I know for sure whose cubicle the sound emanates from.

This means that innumerable times per day, I am hearing a few measures of Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. It's only one sentence... "That's all they really waa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aant is some fuu-uu-uu-uu-uu-uu-uun, when the workin' day is done"... but if one hears it enough times per hour, it can really start to drive one bananas.

Sometimes there are two prompts in a row, and the first one doesn't even finish before the second one interrupts it. "That's all they really waa-aa-aaThat's all they really waa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aa-aant..." and so on. It was a string of such prompts, arriving while the computer's user was away from her desk, that allowed me to follow the music back to its source.

Boy, I hope she gets tired of it and goes back to the (much shorter-lived and quieter) regular Windows prompt noises soon.
----

WOO HOO!!! Not only did the Phantoms just beat the Bears 4-0 (giving us 7 consecutive wins over Hershey this season), but we actually held Hershey to ZERO shots on goal in the second period. That's DARNED impressive! I was afraid the third period would turn into a penalty-fest, but it didn't.

Congrats to Antero Niittymaki for getting our shutout tonight, and to Kirby Law for scoring our game-winner early in the first period.

In other news, not only did the Flyers beat Toronto 4-1, but Phantoms callup Patrick Sharp scored his first NHL goal tonight, and THAT proved to be the game-winner, too! And FURTHERMORE :o), Maxime Ouellet led the Portland Pirates to a 2-0 shutout victory, too.

I sure am enjoying all this good news about my pet players! :o)

No comments: