Support This Blogger

Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Blue Bell, PA? Where in the heck is that? And how in the heck do I get there?

I just got a call back from one of the umpteen places I've sent a resume to. They said they got my resume back in April (!). They want to interview me, which is good. The positions they have open are for Executive Assistant and Administrative Assistant, which is also good. (More than one opening is always good, lol.)

So, what's the catch? The catch is the location. Blue Bell is, according to the person I spoke to this morning, outside Plymouth Meeting, PA. Yikes. If my memory serves, that means taking the Schuylkill Excessway all the way to the end, and then the PA Turnpike.

I'm afraid that the pay scale might not make up for the amount of money I'd spend on gas/tolls during the weekly commute.

But I'll be going on this interview on July 9 anyway. They said they'll email me driving directions and a more in-depth description of both of the job openings, but as of this moment I haven't received the information (I just checked).

I'll find out firsthand when I drive to the place how far it is and how long it takes (during non-rush-hour traffic, anyway). And I'll see how much gas it appears to use, too.

Maybe gas is cheaper in Blue Bell than it is in Philly. And I definitely will invest in an EZ-Pass if I have to deal with turnpike tolls on a regular basis, so that should save a tad of money, too. And I hope to goodness that Executive Assistants and Administrative Assistants have a higher pay rate than receptionists. (Note to self: try to look up what the salary ranges for those jobs are.)

It could all work out. I'm not presuming anything, because I've had one disappointment after another in the past two years. I quit getting my hopes waaay up a long time ago, because having things fall through repeatedly is enough to make a person lose their mind. These days, my attitude is not to get my hopes up, and if something comes through, great! If not, I'm no worse off than I was before. But even so, I acknowledge that things COULD work out.

This crummy economy... I wish I was getting interviews from companies IN Philly, instead of on the outskirts. This is the second time in a month that I've had an appointment that involves a long commute.

No comments: