Support This Blogger

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Harry Potter: the prequel?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Harry Potter series lately, as I've been following him online through the course of the first seven films. One of my friends recently posted on her blog about her disappointment that after the eighth film, currently in theaters, there will never, ever be any more HP.

I have my doubts about that. I can't help but ponder the idea that there is, couched in the HP series itself, plenty of material that could lead to a lengthy prequel. Tom Riddle's childhood and his transmutation into Lord Voldemort. Backstories of various characters like Dumbledore, Hagrid, and Snape, not to mention Harry's own parents, are ripe for writing. There's a long list of good and bad characters who took a stand during Voldemort's first rise to power whose history could be explored in greater depth, as well.

So let's just say that I won't be the least bit surprised if additional, prequel stories come out. J. K. Rowling, who probably enjoys things like having a steady income, would be giving her fan base something that they genuinely want: a continued connection to well-loved characters.

From where I sit, it just makes sense, both from a creative and business standpoint, to venture into prequel territory.

No comments: