Support This Blogger

Saturday, January 08, 2005

So, would you like the good news or the bad news first?

The good news: I filled out an application at the PetSmart's adoption center today. They'll fax it to the animal shelter that's partnering with them to help rehome animals, and I'm to call them on Monday afternoon for more information.

The guy said the application looked fine, and expected it to be approved with no problem. I mentioned that I'd already adopted two cats from the same shelter in 1990, but it turns out that they only keep their data for about 6 years.

The sooner they approve the application, the easier it will be to bring home adopted cats. Last time, I chose the cats first, THEN got approved. This time, if the approval precedes the adoption, I can't see why we can't bring home the cats ASAP after filling out any remaining paperwork for them.

OK, so that's the upbeat news. The bad news is that my PDA had a major crash today and had to be hard-reset. There went my address book and my calendar file.

Fortunately, I have a lot of the addresses elsewhere, but not all. So there'll definitely have to be some tracking down/re-entry of information, no matter what I do. GRRRRRR. But the calendar stuff... that's going to have to be redone from scratch. Crapola. Thank goodness I only really had appointments for the next couple of months to worry about, and most of it, I can easily look up. But the birthdays... they're gonna be a bear to re-enter.

Oh, well. Such is life. If a paper-based address book or calendar had suddenly gone missing, I'd be in the same boat as I am now. (Actually, I'd be in a somewhat WORSE boat, as at least I can retrieve at least 2/3 of the lost addresses from the old PDA I upgraded from.)

I realize that this is hardly the worst thing ever to happen. It's just one particularly big aggravation that I could have done without.

Of course, there's aggravation and then there's aggravation. Donna H. is putting one of her cats through a battery of tests to try and find out why he's having symptoms like losing weight even though he eats, and problems with litterbox output. Already they've found a heart murmur, and by the time the results come back we'll know if the intestinal trouble is caused by IBS, cancer, or something else. I can empathize with her, because I *JUST* went through this with Harmony. It's heartbreaking.

A fouled-up address book and calendar is NOTHING compared to worrying about a much-loved sick pet. So my aggravation doesn't even begin to approach what other people are going through, and I'm well aware of that. I just hope that the vet reports that whatever's wrong with Tristan is something treatable. I wouldn't wish what I just went through with Harmony on anybody.

No comments: