Support This Blogger

Monday, December 10, 2007

'Tis the Season, and all that good stuff. So I like to tune in to "Sounds of the Season" on the digital cable music channels. At this time of year, it's all Christmas music, all the time, including some tunes that don't tend to make it onto the radio stations' playlists.

Many times, the songs I haven't heard much on the radio are some older songs that have been shunted aside in favor of 999 cover versions of White Christmas. The song 'Zat You, Santa Claus? springs to mind. But I digress.

Other old classics, which one might or might not hear on the radio, and the radio stations tend to lean toward "not", are some songs where kids announce what they want for Christmas. Older songs, for the most part, strike me as quaint and charming. "All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth, so I can wish you Merry Christmas", says one. "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas", says another.

Well, I heard a much more modern "kid giving his wishes to Santa" song this morning. "I'm gonna email Santa... send my list to Santa dot com". Er, what? I don't know... it doesn't seem all that quaint or charming to email a Christmas list to the Jolly Old Elf.

Then again, maybe in a few decades, some other technology will have supplanted email. Maybe by then, it WILL seem quaint and charming. I don't know. We'll have to see. Refer back to this blog in 2037 or so, and we'll see what we think of emailing Santa then.

No comments: