Support This Blogger

Friday, February 11, 2011

Mubarak steps down

Wow. Mubarak has stepped down from power in Egypt. I remember the day his predecessor was assassinated. I was out sick from college classes with the worst case of gastroenteritis I ever remember having. It was a real knock-down, drag-out bout of illness that involved a collapse from dehydration at one point.

So I was home, wilted on the sofa with the TV on, and the news stories broke in about Anwar Sadat's assassination. There was significant coverage of that event, and I remember it well.

And now Mubarak has handed over power to the military and stepped down after weeks of protests. I'm glad the power transfer had seen only limited bloodshed given the persistence of the protesting. It could have turned into a massacre at many different points, but it never did. Thank God for a peaceful transition.

No comments: