Support This Blogger

Friday, February 26, 2010

I finished knitting my SECOND attempt at a hat last night. The first one turned out too small, plus it was full of mistakes because I'd never knitted something round on double-pointed knitting needles before.

So I used the REST of the yarn in the skein on another hat, which this time came out the correct size. Hat, Round 2 looks far better than its predecessor, because I was able to make it without the errors that marred the first attempt. There's a lot to be said for old adages like "Practice makes perfect" and "Experience is the best teacher". In this case, practice and experience made for a substantial improvement.

But the yarn from the first hat won't go to waste. I took the small amount of yarn remaining from the skein, unraveled the first attempt at a hat, and made a ball of yarn from them. I can use that yarn to make something small. Or, having learned my lesson from my first attempts at hat-making, I can use spare yarn to practice new types of stitch before I try to use an unfamiliar technique to make an actual project.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to my next trip out-of-doors so I can wear my handiwork. :-)

No comments: