Support This Blogger

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Eeee. The Paperwork Monster almost made me delay that appointment I have set up for tomorrow.

They called back to ask me to bring my Social Security card. I didn't think I HAD one, since the one I had disappeared in a purse snatching about 16 years ago. And even if I did have that one, it had my maiden name on it anyway, so I couldn't have used it.

In my aggravation, I called Mark at work to tell him all this. Imagine my surprise when he told me that I do, in fact, have a valid Social Security card. Huh?

When we got married, I had to go to the Social Security offices and have them change my name. Apparently, they sent me a new Social Security card at that time. Mark normally got the mail, as he arrived home from work before I did. He filed it with our Important Paperwork, which I didn't realize. I checked where he told me to look, and bingo. Instant Social Security card.

I'm still not sure why they absolutely, positively HAVE to see the physical Social Security card as a part of the interview process. I would have thought that bringing my passport would be enough to definitively prove that I am who I say I am, AND that I'm legally permitted to work in the USA. But at least I have a card to show them, and therefore I don't have to postpone my appointment tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: