Support This Blogger

Friday, August 20, 2004

Today I got an IM from a friend who saw a Jeep in the same strange color as the one I described yesterday. So I decided to go the Jeep website to find out what THEY think this indescribable hue is called.

According to THEM, it's called "Light Khaki". I even found a couple of pictures of Jeeps in that color. Bear in mind that photos rarely or never render in quite the same color on a PC screen as they do in real life. Even so, here's a digital approximation of the shade I was posting about:




Now, how bizarre is THAT combo of grey/tan?

Maybe I should explain my obsession with colors... first of all, I've never encountered a color that I couldn't even BEGIN to name before. Never.

Second, and more importantly, I pay a lot more attention to them since the deaf-blind camp I volunteered at in 1991. (YIKES, has it been that long? It doesn't seem like it.) I was talking to the camper I was assigned with, who had Usher Syndrome (deafness and Retinitis Pigmentosa) and had been legally blind for some time. He said that what little he could see now was like looking at everything through a fog, and he missed being able to really see colors. I thought about that conversation for a LONG time after it was over. In a way, I've thought about it ever since. Every time I see a color that I find really striking, I can't help but think, "WOW, is that nice", and just appreciate it for at least a few moments.

Anyway, one thing's for sure -- I don't know if/when I'll be replacing my little old car with a newer one. But whenever that happens, the new(er) car is going to be painted with a color that I WON'T have to look up online to find out what it's called. ;o)

No comments: