Support This Blogger

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

The post card was mixed in with today's mail.

"Thank you so much for your interest in [department store]. We took a good look at your qualifications and found we just don't have a position at [department store] that's the right match for you. We wish you the best of luck in your job search and much success in all you do."

So in other words, I showed up at that job fair about a month ago in a suit, one of only three people to do so (out of a few dozen). Everyone else came in dressed like they were headed to a picnic.

I talked at length to the recruiter about my experience and the fact that I have a background in computers, office support, and customer service, AND the fact that I'm fluent in American Sign Language. Other people were asking her, during the open Q and A session, whether a prior conviction for a crime would prevent them from being hired.

I also asked about the salary range of several positions. I didn't tell HER this, but the salary for their sales floor personnel, the most numerous position that they will have openings for when the store is built, is distinctly less than what I'm making now. Considering that I'm hardly breaking the bank where I am now, that's pretty sad. I'm considering taking a part-time job as it is; I'd DEFINITELY need a second job if I were a sales clerk in that store.

And yet, my resume (showing a bachelor's degree and continuous employment of some kind or other since 1985, primarily my 12-year stint at the bank) doesn't meet [department store]'s requirements.

Color me REALLY angry right now.

No comments: