Support This Blogger

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Earphones

I walk Mini around at least part of the perimeter of the old Naval Hospital every day. It's popular with other dog-walkers, as well as people who walk, run, or bike for exercise. (The bikers belong in the street, not on the pavement, but that's a rant for another day.)

What never ceases to amaze me is the number of people who feel compelled to do their walking, running, or biking with earphones on. (I thought biking with earphones was illegal. Again, I'll save that rant for some other time.) Why is it that everyone feels compelled to tune out the outside world and put themselves in their own little audio bubble?

I ask this because the old Naval Hospital grounds are far from being a concrete jungle... there are trees, rabbits, squirrels, and birds galore. I was amazed when a cottontail let me get within 15 feet of it, maybe closer, before hopping calmly to the opposite side of a fence. (And if it was smaller than Mini, all I can say is it wasn't smaller by much. LOL.)

In any event, at this time of year, the birds are singing nonstop. And I wouldn't WANT to play man-made music, which I can listen to at any time, in lieu of listening to the birdcalls. There appear to be at least three pairs of mockingbirds, plus multiple doves and some red-winged blackbirds just on one border of the old Hospital perimeter, and I've heard some additional birdcalls that suggest there are other species as well. (Though it could just be the mockingbirds showing off, lol.)

I just can't see the point of drowning out Mother Nature's daily concert with man-made music. People, put the darn earphones away and enjoy what's around you. Especially in a lovely area that's been carefully designed and manicured to make the entire neighborhood a more pleasent place. Carpe the doggoned diem, rather than tuning it out.

No comments: