Support This Blogger

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Telecommuting?

Once again, I've been looking through the local Craigslist job boards. I specified "telecommute", and once again discovered that there are people who are absolutely incompetent when it comes to composing their job ad.

Just look at some of the positions that have the "telecommute" flag set to yes:

NANNY... what am I supposed to do? Keep the kid(s) on the phone all day while their parents are at work?

MAINTENANCE -- BUILDING AND GROUNDS: yeah, I'd just LOVE to do that job from home, by phone. That way, I won't have to deal with the bad weather like heat, cold, and snow.

AUTO TECH/MECHANIC -- What are they going to do, hook the car up to the internet so I can log in from home and fix it?

HOME INSPECTION CONSULTANT -- I think the only home I can inspect, via telecommuting, is MINE.

Sigh. I get my hopes up when I do this kind of search and see tons of listings, only to be disappointed when I realize that a large portion of the so-called telecommuting jobs are anything but. I guess I should look at the bright side. These companies have proclaimed, for all the internet to see, that their staff don't proofread their work. Maybe that is, or should be, a red flag to anyone who's considering working there.

No comments: