Support This Blogger

Monday, December 14, 2009

Vehicle fun

We went to the notary public today to get a bit more of the car-donation paperwork done. Fun Facts: my 1989 car, whose name is Skate, currently has 41767 miles on its odometer. When I bought it in 1991, it had 14082 miles on it.

This is what comes of commuting via SEPTA for all but about 2 years' worth of owning the car. I drove to the Norristown temp assignment for 3 months and to the Cherry Hill temp assignment for 18 months. (Well, I drove to the Park-n-Ride at Pattison Avenue for 6 months, but since that was a 2-mile round trip, it doesn't really count for much mileage.) That's IT. Every other job or temp assignment I've ever had, I've used public transportation to commute to. That's a LOT of wear-and-tear that my car was spared over the years. Heck, it's probably a big reason why the car survived this long.

So if you want to save yourself money and preserve your car, take public transit to commute whenever possible. Your wallet will thank you, your car will thank you, and the environment will thank you.

I have a whole lot more miles on the current car, whose name is Grape. But the same care-and-feeding regimen that kept Skate working for all these years will surely benefit Grape, as well.

I sure will miss the Wee Red Car, though. We have a lot of years and day trips behind us. Good times, for sure. :-)

No comments: