Support This Blogger

Wednesday, June 03, 2020

With Liberty and Justice for All

You know what I want?

I want the country that I THOUGHT we had when I was a little girl. I took the "Liberty and Justice for All" part of the Pledge of Allegiance seriously. I was too young to understand that we weren't at that point yet.

I was born in the early 60s, so I am old enough to remember things like the "Peace and Love" slogans, Flower Power, and all that. I saw all the talk about everyone of all races being equal and deserving equal treatment, and I internalized it. I was innocent enough that I thought everyone else did, too. It meshed so well with the "Love one another" teaching we were getting at that level in Catholic school, that wasn't it just OBVIOUS that this is what we should all be doing? I was too young to realize that we weren't there yet, either.

Now, I'm an adult, and I realize that we didn't then, and don't now, have a full implementation of justice for all, equal treatment for everyone, and love for one another. And you know what? I DON'T LIKE that, not one bit.

So I will be finding ways to volunteer, and I will definitely find ways in the voting booth, to get behind anyone who will be willing and able to create that equal justice and fair treatment for all in this society. Because sitting and grousing about what we ought to be doing is not going to get us any closer to making things better.

/rant

No comments: