Support This Blogger

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Civil Unrest

Last night, Center City had widespread looting and vandalism in the aftermath of peaceful, justified Black Lives Matter protests.

West Philly is getting hit with looting today.  has moved tonight’s curfew time from 8 PM up to 6 PM.

My employer’s primary locations are in University City, which is in West Philly. They’re sending text messages out to everyone who is subscribed to their emergency alert system. I just got two texts. I suspect there will be email alerts in my inbox when I log in tomorrow morning.

I just this minute, while I was creating this post, got a robocall from my employer about the street closures, curtailed SEPTA service, curfew, and the fact that police will let us pass *if* we have the essential-worker letter from our employer plus our work ID.

I’m grateful to be working from home, as every single bus/train I would normally use to commute runs through areas impacted by the destruction and looting.

I feel sincerely sorry for the businesses impacted by all this, whether it’s in terms of damage or loss of merchandise. They’re innocent victims, as are their employees. 

The curfew just went into effect. The mayor and community leaders are addressing the city live on TV, to try and quell the damaging behavior.

Pray for peace.

Today’s citywide alert:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1CgU7U4nUqBpdvzjkImL_ryE8sn1izbkr


Last night’s citywide alert:https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1CezCRW5oXa7nwxqzLc6kSEPZDW3ox2Ye 

No comments: