Support This Blogger

Friday, September 16, 2005

Captain's mad at me.

It seems that the back of our computer desk really doesn't HAVE a back, at least not behind the part where the drawers are.

I might have gone forever without knowing this, had it not been for Captain going into Inspector Gadget mode, and having to get his little pinkie nosie into everything.

Here I sat, at the computer, surfing away. And typing. And suddenly, hearing the crumple, crumple, crumple noise of paper being squashed.

Now, it wasn't ME crumpling paper. It wasn't Mark crumpling paper. So my immediate thought was that one of the Resident Felines was crumpling paper. "HEY. Stop that!", I called out, and went back to surfing.

Moments later... crumple, crumple, crumple. "I said KNOCK IT OFF", I called out, looking around and wondering just where the sound was coming from. There was no sign of anything amiss. I resumed surfing.

Crumple, crumple, crumple. This time, I was pretty sure that I'd IDed the direction from which the noise was emanating. It seemed to be coming from our bottom desk drawer, which is pretty large and also happens to be where we keep our store of computer paper.

I pulled open the drawer. Up popped Captain like an orange-and-white fuzzy Jack in the Box. He had that classic feline, "What just happened here?" bemused expression on his face, looking around to determine how his hidey-hole had suddenly opened wide into broad daylight. The crumpling noise had been caused by a certain stripey critter, who'd gotten into the desk drawer by way of the open BACK of the desk, stomping around on the computer paper and its paper wrapping, to fashion it into a cozy nest.

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. Captain sulked his way out of the computer room and curled up in the hallway, just outside the computer room door.

So now Captain's mad at me.

Or, at least, he WAS mad. During the time that it took for me to write this anecdote, he decided to come BACK into the computer room and curl up on my Box of Stuff that's next to the computer desk. Nothing like being within arm's length of Meowmy, who doles out pettins while she's surfing, right?

Short attention spans can be a Good Thing, sometimes. :o)

No comments: