Support This Blogger

Thursday, December 09, 2010

So far, so good

I had my first followup with the surgeon yesterday.

Dubious Achievement: thanks to my 7.9 lb fibroid, mine was officially the largest uterus removed in 2010 at the (large, teaching) hospital I went to. I realize there are a few weeks left for someone to come in and top my numbers. But I assure you, I won't be envious of any person who presents with a fibroid even larger than mine.

The incisions (external and internal) are healing as they should. There's one area adjacent to the incision that I flagged as being sore. Turns out there's a blood clot in that spot. No wonder it's been consistently annoying at times -- something's actually there. The doc said that normally, the body reabsorbs the blood clot with no problem, but occasionally, it will migrate over to where the incision is and cause some bleeding there. So he said not to worry if that happens. Good call -- I wouldn't have been one bit happy to see bleeding show up unexpectedly, so at least now I'm forewarned.

I have a couple spots on the (6-inch-long) incision that are looking a little inflamed, or maybe even slightly infected. Those didn't trouble the doctor. I guess that they're not an unusual situation at this stage of the game. I was expecting to end up with antibiotics when he saw those areas, but no. To my surprise, he told me to put Vitamin E on them. Just as well -- I take enough pills every day as it is. I wasn't looking forward to adding more. So Mark picked up some Vitamin E last night, and I've started using it.

I need to curb my activity level a little bit, I think. I've spent the past 5 or 6 days nearly as active as I was pre-surgery, and boy is my tail dragging today. I think I did just a tad more than I was ready for. I don't regret any of it, but now I know to pace myself a bit better for the next few weeks.

So that's what's up. So far, so good. :-)

No comments: