Support This Blogger

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

This morning I was ready to nominate Mother Nature for the Harridan of the Day award. The rush hour took place during a torrential downpour. Visibility was absolutely terrible and a surprising (to me) amount of the Schuylkill Expressway's surface was covered by puddles of water. I thought it had better drainage than that! Then again, the rain was coming down so hard, maybe NO amount of drainage would have been enough.

As if that wasn't enough, I arrived at work (after taking over an hour for a commute that should have taken 40 minutes) to find a message screen that was backed up from here to the next time zone with a queue of messages. Techs were writing in to report traffic jams, downed trees, power failures, accidents, closed roads, and detours caused by the weather, and that wasn't even the worst of it! Late this morning, we started getting reports that a tornado had gone through Havertown, a suburb where at least one calling center employee lives. Ugh. Mornings like this are why the companies that make aspirin and antacids will never go out of business.

Today, I went to track down Joe M's service order number for his refrigerator, and found that it'd been cancelled. The reason given for the cancellation was that the customer had gotten another service to do the repair, so I'll have to ask him about that tonight at choir practice. I guess I don't have to worry about whether he's planning to try out for the Harridan of the Day after all. ;o)

Tomorrow morning is the deceased tech's funeral. :o( There are a lot of technicians who will be in attendance, so I suspect we will be rescheduling a LOT of service orders later tomorrow. I hope the customers are understanding about it. It's going to be a sad enough day tomorrow as it is.

No comments: