Support This Blogger

Monday, August 08, 2011

Indistinguishable From Magic

In preparation for attending the eighth and final Harry Potter movie, I've been digitally renting, and watching online, the first seven movies in the series from walmart.com's Vudu service. As I've only read some of the books, and (until embarking on this project) had seen only some of the movies, I thought that it would give me the clearest possible understanding of the final, wrapping-up movie if I made certain to see all the things that led up to it.

So here I am, clicking on little icons to pay for and watch movies on a laptop screen. And, in the moments when my video stream was interrupted by a glitch, tapping on my iPod screen to view the news items for which a popup bulletin had appeared, while waiting for the stream to resume.

While doing all this -- watching the movie I want, instantly, while checking on the news articles that are coming to ME (rather than my having to seek them out) -- I confess that I almost felt like my own actions were worthy of inclusion in the Harry Potter universe.

It's like the old saying goes: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

So far it's four movies down, three to go.

No comments: